By Chef: Marina Yanay-Triner
Posted: February 1, 2018
This vegan cheese recipe is going to blow your mind! If you’re one of those people with intense cheese cravings then you need a good plant based cheese recipe like this one. This hard vegan cheese is dairy-free, oil-free, highly satisfying and extremely delicious.
- 1 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 capsule vegan probiotic capsule
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut liquid
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 2 tablespoons kalamata olives pitted, and chopped into small pieces
- First, blend all «Basics» ingredients in a high-speed blender until completely smooth. Use powder from the probiotic capsule only, and discard the outer encasing.
- Next, place resulting mixture in a cheese-cloth, nut milk bag, or stockings.
- Now, place the cheese-cloth inside a strainer, and place the strainer on a bowl, with enough room for liquid to come out of the cheese without touching the strainer and absorbing back.
- Then, place a 1.5 liter mason jar filled with water, or any other heavy object, on top of the cheese-cloth, and lean it against the wall so it doesn’t fall over.
- Lastly, leave for 8-10 hours, for the liquid to drain out outside of the fridge, in a cool, dry place.
- First, remove the cheese mixture from the cheese-cloth, and place in a bowl.
- Next, mix with all «Mix-in» ingredients. Add olives if you desire.
- And lastly, allow the cheese to ferment for another 8-10 hours so that it forms a hard rind. Leave it outside of the fridge during this time.
Optional: Instead of leaving the cheese out in a bowl, place the mixture on a dehydrator sheet in the shape of your choice (resembling cheese), and allow to dehydrate for 8-10 hours at 115F, or until it hardens.