By Chef: Molly Patrick
Posted: January 26, 2017
Warning, this cheese is addictive. You will dream about it and you will make it again and again. Not only is this vegan cashew cheese delish times infinity, it’s super versatile so you can easily have a batch in your fridge at all times, use it many a different way and it will never get old and go bad from being ignored. You can put it on pizza or crumble it on a big green salad. Try it in a sandwich or use it in lasagna. Use it as a topping for Roasted Kabocha Squash. Use your imagination and get creative. Because creative is sexy.
Yield: 1 cup
- 1 cup cashews (130g) soaked in 3 cups (709 ml) of water for at least 1 hour.
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (10ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (3g)
- 2 turns fresh black pepper
- 1/4 cup water (60ml)
- Soak, drain and rinse cashews.
- Place in a food processor, along with lemon juice, salt and black pepper.
- Pulse for about 1 minute to combine ingredients.
- Add water and process until completely smooth, about 2 -4 minutes. Is it seriously that simple? Yes lovers, it is. xo
Note* You will have to soak the cashews for at least 1 hour. You can soak them for up to 24 hours. The longer you soak them the more creamy they will become. If you don’t want to soak them for 24 hours, soaking them for an hour is totally sufficient. Turn off the food processor and scrape down the mixture from the sides a couple of times while processing (but be sure to turn off your food processor before you do this. Seems obvious but we’ve all had our blonde moments). This is an awesome base recipe. From here, feel free to play around and add other yummy ingredients (Chives and garlic sound awesome to me!) If all you have are roasted cashews, you can use them. The reason I use raw cashews is because they are most nutritious in their raw form.