By Chef: Emily von Euw
Posted: October 10, 2016
Much to the dairy industries chagrin, all you really need in order to make an epic batch of raw vegan ice cream is a creamy, rich base of plant based fat (coming from nuts, seeds, coconut, avocado, etc.), a healthy sweetener option, frozen bananas, and something to blend it all together of course. And if you’re feeling like really going for it – a generous drizzle of raw chocolate sauce + sprinkling of fleur de sel on top.
- 3 frozen bananas, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder or vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut cream (RFR tip — you can make your own by blending young Thai coconut meat with a splash of coconut water)
To make the nice cream:
- Blend all ingredients together until smooth, adding some coconut cream or vegan milk if your blender needs help.
- Scoop into one or two bowls and leave in the freezer while you make the chocolate sauce.
To make the chocolate sauce
- Blend all the ingredients together until smooth. Pour over your nice cream and enjoy immediately! I like mine with a sprinkle of fleur de sel on top.