By Chef: Juli Novotny
Posted: October 20, 2016
While protein on a plant based diet isn’t lacking per say, depending on your protein needs, you might have to get a little creative with your recipes in order to sneak in more of this critical nutrient. Protein balls can be easy, convenient, and totally delicious! Start here with these Tahini Cardamon Protein Balls – such a tasty treat!
Yield: 12-15 balls
- 2/3 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup vegan vanilla protein powder
- 7 dates, soaked for 20 minutes
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup tahini
- Process the almonds and protein powder together in a food processor — pulsing over and over again — for about 30 seconds to a minute. Set aside mixture in a separate bowl.
- Add soaked dates (discarding all but 3 Tbsp of the soaking water). Blend them in the food processor bowl with the 3 Tbsp water. Process for about 20 seconds. Add tahini. Process again for 30 seconds. Stopping every few seconds to scrape down sides of the bowl if necessary.
- Add the almond and protein mixture back into the bowl combined with this date tahini mixture. Process for about 20 seconds until a dough is formed.
- Form dough into balls and place in an air tight container in the freezer until ready to serve.