By Chef: Natalia KW
Posted: November 16, 2010
Light, fresh, and nut-free. Sesame oil, ginger, chili, shoyu, and a dash of honey to sweeten combine to give these lettuce wraps a delightful Asian flare.
Yield: 12 wraps
For the wraps:
- 12 Butter lettuce leaves
For the filling:
- 5 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup bell pepper, very thinly sliced (about 1 medium pepper)
- 6 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup cold-pressed sesame oil
- ½ cup coconut aminos, Nama shoyu or tamari
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoons grated ginger
- ¼-½ teaspoon crushed chili pepper
- additional scallions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup black sesame seed
1) Toss the cabbage, carrots, bell pepper, cilantro and scallions together in a large bowl.
2) In a separate bowl, whisk together sesame oil, coconut aminos, honey, garlic, ginger and chili pepper to create your sauce. Pour the sauce over the veggies and mix very well. Use your hands to massage the sauce into the veggies, allowing the cabbage to soften.
3) to assemble each wrap, fill a lettuce leaf with ½ cup veggie mixture. Garnish with scallions and a sprinkling of black sesame seeds.