By Chef: Amber Crawley
Posted: May 18, 2012
A simple recipe with a lot of personality and complexity of flavor! Sweet date syrup, tangy full bodied balsamic, spicy cayenne and a little extra richness from coconut oil and crunch from sesame seeds, this cashew nut mix is totally unique, tantalizing and easy as 123! Inspired by a recipe for sweet and spicy cashews from Hannah.
Yield: 1 cup
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 2 Tbsp date syrup
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1½ tsp raw sesame seeds
- ½ tsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
1) Rinse and drain the cashews very well, then pat dry with a clean towel.
2) In a small bowl, whisk together all remaining ingredients.
3) Add the cashews and toss or stir well to coat.
4) Transfer to a Paraflexx-lined dehydrator tray (or a greased baking sheet, and just bake them in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes!).
5) Spread the cashews evenly so that they’re not touching (or are barely touching). Dehydrate for 6-8 hours, then move to a mesh-lined tray and dehydrate for 6-8 hours longer.