By Chef: Julie Van den Kerchove
Posted: March 9, 2017
Matcha has been used for centuries in Japan because of its health benefits. It’s really high in antioxidants and a lot more powerful than regular green tea. Scientists have even found that it will boost your energy levels, increase your fat-burning metabolism and detoxify your body. If you find the flavor to be too strong as a tea, try blending it right into a smoothie! This recipe is sweet, creamy and the matcha flavor is really subtle.
- 1 large cup non-dairy milk, unsweetened (I used coconut rice milk) (RFR Tip: you can also use a raw nut milk of choice!)
- 1 large ripe banana
- ¼ avocado (or extra banana)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- ½ to 1 teaspoon matcha powder
- 1 large handful of greens (spinach, chard, kale…)
- Pour the milk into the blender and add the banana, avocado, lime juice, chia seeds, matcha powder and greens. Blend until smooth.
JULIE’S TIPS & TRICKS: • I added chia seeds to this sweet matcha breakfast shake for extra protein, but you could replace them with hemp seeds or a large spoonful of your favorite protein powder as well. • If you’re not a fan of banana, replace it with mango, pineapple, persimmon…