By Chef: Kristin Dahl
Posted: July 10, 2018
This raw vegan flatbread is perfect for when you’re cooking for someone you want to impress. The sweet white onions complement the walnuts perfectly, making them taste candied. The sauce is raw and vegan, but can be enjoyed by all. And your favorite toppings make it completely your own. This flatbread is your canvas, and you are the artist. Paint away!
- 1 small sweet white onion
- 1/4 cup raw organic olive oil
- 1 medium yellow squash, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup raw organic walnuts
- 2 dates, pitted
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink crystal salt
- 1/4 cup ground golden flax
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup soaked sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon organic cold-pressed olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
- Himalayan pink crystal salt to taste
Choice of Toppings
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 5 to 9 Kalamata olives, pitted and thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cored and julienned
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh broccoli marinated with olive oil
- 2 raw organic macadamia nuts, grated
- 1 cup sliced, dehydrated red onions
- Coarsely chop the onion and transfer to a food processor. Add the olive oil, squash, walnuts, dates, and salt. Blend until well combined, pulse a few times if there are a still chunks.
- Transfer to a bowl, stir in the ground flax seeds, and set aside to thicken, about five minutes.
- Spread the mixture onto Teflex sheets, about 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick, then cut into desired shapes and dehydrate for 12 to 24 hours. You may want to turn them after 8 hours.
- In a food processor, combine the raw and sun-dried tomatoes, olive oil, oregano, and sea salt.
- Process for about 30 seconds, or until desired consistency is reached (smooth or a bit chunky).
- Set aside.
- Put your crust on a nice serving platter or a cutting board, spread your pizza sauce on, and top with your favorite toppings. Eat immediately.