By Chef: Matthew Kenney
Posted: October 2, 2010
Spring Rolls, so named because they are typically eaten during Chinese Festivals in the Spring, are normally filled with crispy vegetables and sometimes cabbage or mushrooms.
- 2 Cups flax meal
- 2 Cups yellow squash
- 1 Cup chopped Thai coconut meat
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 4 Cups water
- 1/4 Cup agave
- 1 Tsp. sea salt
- 1 Tsp. ground coriander
- 1 Tsp. ground cumin
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced on a diagonal
- 1 Cup julienned carrots
- 1/4 Cup sliced scallions
- 1 Cup shredded napa cabbage
- 1 1/2 Cups dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked 1 hour and dehydrated for 2 hours
- 1/2 Tsp. sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- 1 Cup cashews, soaked 1-2 hours
- 1/2 Cup fresh young Thai coconut meat
- 1/2 Cup raw carrageenan
- 1/4 Cup water
- 1/4 Tsp. sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. ancho chile powder
- 1/4 Tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 Cup cilantro
- 3/4 Tsp. chipotle chile powder
- 2 Cups cashews, soaked 1-2 hours
- 1/4 Tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 Cup nama shoyu
- 1/4 Cup plus 1 Tbs. water
Sweet Tamarind Sauce
- 1 Cup dried tamarind paste
- 1/2 Cup raw agave
- 3 Tbs. lime juice
- 1/4 Cup coconut water
- 2 Tbs. water
- 1/2 Tsp. salt
- Garnish Cilantro leaves
- Blend all ingredients except scallions in a Vita-Mix until smooth; stir in scallions.
- Spread thinly into 6-7 inch rounds on dehydrator teflex sheets.
- Dehydrate 5-6 hours until very dry but very pliable.
- Fold all ingredients together.
- Line the bottom and sides of a small pan or square container with plastic wrap.
- Blend all ingredients except cilantro in Vita-Mix until completely smooth; stir in cilantro.
- Pour into lined pan (tofu should be about 1 1/2 inches thick): cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate about 2 hours until firm.
- Remove tofu from container by lifting plastic wrap out of pan and gently transferring to a cutting board.
- Cut tofu into 2-inch squares with a butter knife.
- Blend all ingredients until smooth.
Sweet Tamarind Fondue
- Blend all ingredients well. Strain though a chinois.
- Fold the chile sauce into spring roll filling, add tofu and adjust seasoning.
- Place a large tablespoon of filling on each spring roll wrapper and spread it out in a row.
- Fold wrappers tightly.
- To serve, cut each wrapper on a bias lengthwise, lean one against the other, and garnish with Sweet Tamarind Fondue and cilantro leaves.