By Chef: Diana Stobo
Posted: January 19, 2011
I tried to stick with a Watermelon Gazpacho theme, but my imagination took over. This soup has the right blend of sweet and savory, add a little more jalapeno, if you want it to kick you in the end.
Yield: 1 quart
- 2 cups watermelon, diced
- ½ cup celery, diced
- ½ cup cucumber, diced
- ½ cup Papaya , diced
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 orange, pulp removed and juiced (1/4 cup fresh orange juice)
- 2-3 Lacinato or Dino Kale Leaves, de-stemmed and minced
- 1 tablespoon Lime Juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
1) In a large serving bowl, reserve ¼ cup of each diced watermelon, celery, cucumber and papaya.
2) Remove pulp from orange and place in the bowl, squeezing the remaining juice from the orange directly into blender.
3) Set kale aside.
4) Place all remaining ingredients into blender with orange juice and blend until pureed.
5) Add the minced Kale and blend on low for five seconds.
6) Pour soup over the mound of diced fruits and vegetables.