By Chef: Christina Ross
Posted: November 22, 2013
This delectable recipe by Christina Ross of Love-Fed.com is entirely free of gluten, sugar and dairy, and contains only ingredients which are exceptionally healthy for your body! If you miss cupcakes or muffins on a raw diet you’ll love sinking your teeth into this recipe! A spicy cupcake mix made with a base of almond and coconut flour combines with a gingery apple filling and decadent raw caramel sauce drizzle. So delicious!
For the Cupcake Mix
- 1 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 3 tbsp coconut crystals
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla bean
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1/2 cup coconut nectar
For the Apple Filling
- 3 fuji apples (peeled,cored,cubed)
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 tbsp coconut crystals
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
For the Caramel
- 3/4 cup melted cacao butter(shaved and then melted)
- 1/4 cup lucuma powder
- 3/4 cup coconut nectar
Begin by making the Apple Filling:
1. Peel, core, and chop the apples and place them in a bowl.
2. Add remaining apple filling ingredients to the bowl and mix with a spoon until the apples are well coated.
3. Set half of the marinated apples aside and place the other half into a blender. Blend half of the apple mixture to a lightly chunky apple sauce.
4. Set both apple mixtures aside and begin making your cupcake base.
To make the cupcake base:
1. Process all cupcake mix ingredients except for almond butter and coconut nectar until well combined using a food processor.
2. As the machine is running add in the almond butter and coconut nectar, process until mixture sticks together. Do not over process.
3. Press the muffin mix into the cupcake liners leaving a deep well in the center for the apple filling.
4. Fill the well to the top with the apple sauce puree.
5. To cover the muffin flatten the remaining dough onto a flat surface lined with parchment paper. Using a circle cookie cutter or a knife cut out thin circles to place over the apple filling and to enclose the muffin. Press gently around the edges to blend muffin top to the base.
6. Scoop remaining apple cubes onto muffin tops, aprox 1 tbsp per muffin.
Finally make the caramel:
1. Whisk together the caramel ingredients in a bowl and drizzling onto muffins until well coated.
Serve immediately while deliciously gooey or set in the fridge to enjoy later. The caramel will have firmed up in the fridge creating a beautiful top that will have a crackle texture when you bite into it!