By Chef: Tonya Cole Lightfoot
Posted: September 29, 2010
A very refreshing and beautiful spaghetti dish. The basil really shines and brings out all the traditional Italian flavors.
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, sliced
- 5 cups basil
- 2-3 fresh garlic cloves, grated
- 1 cup raw pistachios or pine nuts
- 1/2 cup + 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, chopped medium size
- 4-6 medium size zucchini
- 1/2 cup raw black olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons of hemp seeds
- Celtic sea salt and black pepper to taste crushed red pepper, optional
- In a food processor with the “S” blade add 4 cups of basil, 1 cup pistachios and 1/2 cup olive oil. Blend until smooth. Add salt and pepper to desired taste.
- In separate bowl chop tomatoes, garlic, remaining basil, chopped, red onion and remaining olive oil. Toss and add salt to taste. Let marinate for a few hours.
- Using a vegetable spiral slicer, slice the zucchini into pasta shape *. Toss the pistachio pesto with the pasta until mixed well. Toss in tomato mixture and let dish set 15-20 minutes before serving.
- Variation: To spice it up a little, toss in crushed red pepper. Sprinkle hemp seeds on top.