By Chef: Christian Bates
Posted: January 10, 2011
Combine the deep satisfaction of light and creamy chocolaty hazel nut flavor with antioxidant-rich low-glycemic nourishing raw superfood ingredients, and you have my easy-to-make Raw Chocolate Hazel Nut Mylk Smoothie! Enjoy!
- 4 1/2 cups spring water
- 1 1/2 cups organic hazel nuts (Optional: soak then in water for a few hours first to germinate them)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons organic raw cacao powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons birch xylitol, honey or your favorite wholesome sweetener
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean powder or vanilla bean liquid extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons organic cold-pressed olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon (or less if you are sensitive to the taste of stevia) organic stevia extract powder (NOW brand and Kal brand are the best tasting) If you like stevia, add an extra pinch to give it full sweetness.
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (Celtic sea salt is my favorite)
- 2 cups spring water ice cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon wild blue green algae
- 1/4 teaspoon medicinal mushrooms extract powders of choice (reishi, chaga, etc.)
- 1/4 teaspoon maca powder
1. Blend hazelnuts with 4 1/2 cups spring water on high in a high-speed blender for about 45 seconds, then strain through nut mylk bags into a large bowl.
2. Rinse your blender and add the “hazel nut mylk” back into the blender.
3. Add all other ingredients leaving out the 2 cups of spring water ice cubes and blend on high for 20 seconds
4. Add in the spring water ice cubes before serving. If using optional ingredients, blend those in for ten seconds.
Serve in your favorite large glass.
This nut mylk can be made Phase 1 by using stevia only to sweeten, or Phase 2 if honey is used.