There is nothing more satisfying than indulging in a brownie such as this knowing that it is rich in omega 3’s, protein, fiber and energy giving life-forces. This brownie can made and enjoyed right away or it can be chilled so the caramel has a little more time to stiffen up a bit. Keep some handy for those unexpected (or maybe expected…) brownie cravings hit.
- 1 cup raw walnuts, soaked & dehydrated
- 1 cup raw raw cashews, soaked & dehydrated
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1-2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground Ceylon cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 2 cups packed medjool dates, pitted
- 4 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp raw honey or raw coconut nectar for vegan
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or raw dark agave syrup
- 1/2 cup date paste
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- Place the almond butter, sweetener, date paste, vanilla and salt in a high-powdered blender and process until smooth.
- Stop occasionally to scrap the sides down.
- Store in the fridge in a glass container. Good for approximately 2 weeks.
- To soften, leave out at room temperature for a few hours.
- Dates ~ if the dates are tough or more on the dry side, cover with enough hot water to re-hydrate them for 10 minutes. Once ready to use, discard the soak water and hand-squeeze the excess water out before adding to the recipe.
- In a food processor, fitted with the “S” blade, place the walnuts and cashews in and process until they broken down to very small pieces. They won’t grind down to a powder due to the natural oils in them. But be careful that you don’t over process and start making walnut butter.
- Add cacao, smoked paprika, cinnamon, cayenne, and salt.
- Pulse together so all the spices get mixed in well.
- Remove the lid and lay the dates around the bowl of the food processor. Add the coconut oil, lemon juice, honey and vanilla.
- Return the lid and pulse a few times, then process until the dough starts to clump together in a ball.
- Line the 8×8 baking pan with plastic wrap or wax paper. Press the brownie batter down firmly and evenly.
- Pour the caramel frosting on the brownie, cover and chill in the fridge for 4+ hours. If you wish to eat it right away, that is fine too.
- Dust with cacao powder and sprinkle crushed walnuts on top.
- Cut into squares and enjoy.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for 5-7 days. Be sure to keep them covered.