These kofta are entirely raw and vegan, seasoned beautifully with a range of spices. Serve with the raw minted cashew yoghurt and a little red kraut. This recipe is so simple to make, but does require time in the dehydrator.
- 1 cup walnuts
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup soaked and sprouted buckwheat*
- ½ cup organic, sun dried tomatoes (no added oil/spices)
- 2 Medjool dates, pitted
- Zest of half a lemon
- 2 teaspoons miso paste, darker the better
- 2 teaspoons nama shoyu (raw soy sauce, or use tamari)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1½ teaspoons rosemary, dried
- 1 heaped tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- A very scant ¼ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- To Serve: Fermented red cabbage/beets, pistachio and fresh herbs and whitloaf/radicchio leaves, to serve in
Minted Cashew Yogurt
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 5 tablespoons water
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 pinches coarse sea salt
- 6 good sized fresh mint leaves
- A few hours before you are ready to start making the kofta (2-4 hours), soak the walnuts, sunflower seeds, sundried tomatoes and dates in water to soften them.
- If you haven’t the time to properly soak and sprout buckwheat (this can be a three day process), then prepare them the same way you would the nuts and seeds, however, soaking and sprouting will give a much softer texture.
- After the soaking time is over, rinse and drain nuts, seeds, dates and buckwheat. Place in a food processor. Only add half the sundried tomatoes at this point – blending the rest in last gives a great texture.
- Add all other ingredients and blend till well combined, almost like a paste.
- Add the remainder sun dried tomatoes for a final blend.
- Roll into small little logs, about a tablespoon of mixture each. Insert bamboo skewers if you have them.
- Place on a dehydrator teflex sheet and dehydrate for two hours at a slightly higher temp (135˚F) then turn down to 115˚F for another six hours.
- Serve each kofta inside a whitloaf leaf, with the raw minted cashew yoghut (see recipe below) and a little of the cabbage/beet ferment, crushed pistachios and fresh herbs.
Minted Cashew Yogurt
- Soak the cashews in ample water for a few hours (2-5 hours), then drain and rinse.
- Add cashews and all other ingredients (including those 5 tablespoons of water) to a blender, whiz till creamy.
- Serve with koftas and keep in the fridge.