Every now and then you need something totally over-the-top decadent, don’t you think? Friday is the perfect excuse to make these yummy bars! A nougat – like base with lush salted lemon and medjool caramel and a homemade raw chocolate drizzle to finish. Sounds like heaven!
- 3 cups almond meal
- ¼ cup organic rice malt syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Few good pinches of coarse sea salt
- 2 cups pistachios, shelled
- ¼ cup 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 12 Medjool dates, pitted (approx. 180g) – soaked in hot water for 5 mins to soften
- 1 cup peanuts
- Extra sea salt
- Batch of homemade raw chocolate to drizzle (or melt down a dark, store bought choc)
- Line an 8inch square cake tin with baking paper.
- To make the base, pulse all ingredients in a food processor till combined.
- Press into the cake tin and smooth out the surface. Place in freezer.
- To make the caramel, blend the pistachios till they become a fine flour or even a butter, then transfer to a food processor.
- Add all other ingredients including the soaked and drained dates, and pulse till combined. The resulting caramel will be VERY thick. Fantastic.
- Spread roughly over the base, then place a layer of plastic wrap/baking paper over the top and use your palm to even out the surface.
- Once done, scatter the peanuts over the top and press into the caramel.
- Add a few sprinkles of sea salt, then set in the freezer.
- Once caramel slice has set, remove and cut into small bars. Use a teaspoon to drizzle homemade raw chocolate (or store bought) over the top and serve. Keep in fridge.