Shortbread cookies layered with gooey caramel and dark chocolate…this is a combination most people will be more than happy to get behind. These delicious raw cookie treats can be cut into single-serving sized pieces and stored in the freezer for a healthy dessert when the sweet tooth strikes. As we all know, having healthy alternatives on hand to satisfy those cravings is a must. This recipe also happens to be nut free!
- 190g (2 cups) whole rolled oats
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
Middle layer (caramel):
- 250g (1 + 1/4 cups) dates, soaked for two hours
- 180ml (3/4 cup) water
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
Top layer (chocolate):
- In a food processor or blender, mill the oats to a fine powder. Pour into a bowl and mix with the melted coconut oil and maple syrup until thick and sticky.
- Press into the bottom of a 13cm x 18cm ( 5 inches x 7 inches) rectangular tin. Chill in the fridge to set.
- Blend the warm water, melted coconut oil and dates in a high-speed blender until smooth. Pour over the first layer and place in the freezer for about an hour while you get on with the final layer.
- Whisk the ingredients for the chocolate layer together in a small bowl or cup, until no lumps remain. Pour over the caramel layer when it is set, and chill for at least 4 hours or freeze for about 2 hours before slicing into 12 individual squares.