Coconut, vanilla, and the zest of fresh tangerine…can you imagine how wonderful this granola will smell wafting through the air as it dehydrates to crispy, crunchy perfection? Will it taste just as good? You will have to make it to find out, but we think the odds are in your favor. This raw, vegan, low-glycemic, gluten-free, and refined sugar-free recipe puts all sugary, “fruity”, processed cereals to shame. Enjoy!
- 2 cups raw buckwheat
- 1 1/2 cups dried large coconut flakes
- 1 cups raw pumpkin seeds, soaked for 6 hours and drained
- 1 cups raw almonds, soaked for 6 hours and drained
- 1/3 cup raw coconut nectar, agave nectar or raw honey (or more if you prefer sweeter)
- 1/4 cup raw coconut butter
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup organic tangerine juice
- 2 Tbsp tangerine zest
- 2 tangerines, thinly sliced, and slices halved
- Soak buckwheat for 30 minutes, rinse very well (as it has a slimy coating that needs to be removed) and drain. Place in a large jar and set in a well lit area (natural light, but not in direct sunlight). Let sit for a couple days, or until little sprouts begin to emerge from the buckwheat, rinsing 2 times a day. Once sprouted, drain well, and place in a large bowl, along with the coconut, and nuts.
- In a food processor, combine the coconut nectar (or honey),coconut butter, sea salt, vanilla, tangerine juice and zest. Process until smooth and pour the mixture over the granola, add the tangerine slices and mix well with your hands.
- Spread out on 2 lined dehydrator, and dry for about 12 hours or until crispy. Can be stored in an airtight container for a few weeks at room temperature.