Here’s a beautiful and tasty cake to brighten up your weekend dinner! Don’t feel intimidated or nervous about this technique… it is very easy. It gives you the opportunity to master your culinary and artistic skills! Enjoy!
- 1 1/4 cups raw almonds, soaked and dehydrated
- 3/4 cup raw walnuts, soaked and dehydrated
- 1 cup Medjool dates, pitted & rehydrated
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3 cups cashews, soaked 2+ hours, 1 1/2 cups almond milk, 3/4 cup raw agave nectar, 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, 1 Tbsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp probiotic powder, 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 1/2 cups base batter, from above, 1 cup organic strawberries, 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted, 2 Tbsp sunflower lecithin
- 2 1/2 cups base batter, from above, 1/2 cup raw cacao powder, 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted, 2 Tbsp raw agave nectar, 2 Tbsp sunflower lecithin
- Sliced strawberries, Raw Chocolate Ganache Frosting
- Place the Medjool dates in enough hot water to cover them. Set aside. This will add more moisture to them so they blend well into the crust mixture.
- In a food processor, fitted with a “S” blade, combine the almonds and walnuts. Process until they break down to small crumbles.
- Add cacao powder, salt and pulse together.
- Drain the soak water out of the dates and squeeze out the excess water.
- Open the food process and place the dates all around the bowl. Replace the lid and process until the crust mixture start to stick together. When you pinch the batter it should stick together. If it is to dry you can add 1 Tbsp of water at a time till it sticks together.
- Scatter the crust batter around the bottom of the Springform pan evenly. Then start pressing it down firmly and evenly. Clean up the edge of the crust, as this will be seen when the pan ring is removed. Set aside while you make the filling.
Batter / filling:
- 1. After soaking the cashews, drain and rinse then add to the blender along with the almond milk, agave, lemon juice, probiotic powder, vanilla, and salt. Process until creamy. This can take 2-5 minutes, depending on your machine. Once this is creamy and smooth, remove 2 cups of the filling. 2. Strawberry batter: Add to the 2 cups of batter, the strawberries, coconut oil and lecithin. Blend until creamy. Pour into a small bowl. Rinse the blender container. 3. Chocolate batter: Add the remaining 2 cups of batter and combine with the cacao powder, coconut oil, agave and lecithin. Blend until creamy. Pour in a small bowl.
- 1. Place in front of you; pie crust, both bowls of batter (pinkish and brown), with a tablespoon measurer in each bowl. Sit down and relax through this process. 2. Start with 1 tablespoon of chocolate filling and place it in the center of the crust. Don’t spread it out, just let it pour out of the measuring spoon. 3. Next, scoop up 1 tablespoon of the strawberry batter and pour it into the center of the brown filling that is in the pie crust. 4. Now, alternate 1 tablespoon at a time until all of both batters are gone. Don’t tap the pan during the process, just let gravity do all the work. 5. If you do not want as many rings just use a larger amount of batter for each ring ( 2 Tbsp, 1/4 cup etc.) 6. Finally cover with plastic and place in the fridge overnight to firm or in the freezer for at least 6 hours. 7. Remove and decorate. This pie will keep for 3-5 days in the fridge or safely 1 month in the freezer. Keep well covered.
- Lecithin – You can use any type of lecithin that fits within your dietary needs. Whether that be soy or sunflower based. If you purchase soy based please make sure that it is non-GMO. Use the same measurement whether you use liquid or powdered lecithin. You can make the cake without the lecithin but it might come out much softer so keep it stored in the fridge or freezer until ready to enjoy.
- Nuts used in crust – You can use any nut or go nut less if needed. You can use shredded coconut, oats or buckwheat in its place.
- Soften the coconut oil by placing the jar of oil in a bowl with hot water. It will take about 15 minutes for it to melt.
- Almond milk – You can use coconut milk in its place.