Once you realize you can make a healthy raw replacement for just about any junky snack food craving you might have an entire world will have opened up before you. These tasty raw crackers by Ann Oliverio of An Unrefined Vegan are crunchy, cheezy and nutty and don’t require anything but whole food ingredients. Instead of the typical peanut butter filling try using raw almond butter!
1) In a large bowl, combine the flaxseed meal, coconut flour and the nutritional yeast. Set aside.
2) In a food processor, grind the almonds into a crumbly meal – don’t over process, otherwise you’ll have almond butter. Not a bad thing, but not what you’re looking for here.
3) Empty the almond meal into the bowl w/ the flaxseed mixture.
4) Process the carrots and apple until you have a nice mash. Scrape the mixture into the big bowl.
5) Add the remaining ingredients and stir until thoroughly mixed. The mixture should be moist but hold together when pressed.
6) Divide the mixture in two and spread one half on a dehydrator tray that has been covered with a non-stick drying sheet. You’ll just about be able to cover the full sheet. To get an even surface, I cover the dough with another non-stick sheet and gently roll with a rolling pin.
7) Carefully lift off the non-stick sheet. Once the dough has been rolled out, gently score the surface into squares.
8) Place the trays in the middle of the dehydrator and set the temperature to 145F. Dehydrate for 30 minutes, then reduce the heat to 115F and dehydrate for an additional 6-8 hours or until the cracker are very crispy all the way through. About halfway through the process, I carefully transfer the dough to a dehydrator screen.