Any recipe that incorporates medicinal edible flowers into it is worth a try in our book. And this delicious beauty bar recipe by the talented Lauren Glucina of Ascension Kitchen is far beyond worth a try. You may be familiar with calendula flower for its topical uses. Extremely anti-inflammatory, soothing, and healing it is wonderful for nicks, scrapes, and irritations of all kinds. It also has benefits internally as its astringent quality is great for our digestive systems. This recipe is also full of beautifying Vitamin A from 2 beta carotene all stars: goji berries and raw carrot. ENJOY and let your natural beauty shine!
1 heaped cup calendula petals
¾ cup grated carrot
½ cup shredded coconut
½ cup almond meal
1 cup almonds
¼ cup goji berries
¼ cup sunflower seeds
¼ cup pumpkin seeds
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1 teaspoon vanilla paste/essence
½ cup coconut butter
¼ cup rice malt syrup
1 teaspoon white miso
1 tablespoon orange zest
1) Place the coconut butter and rice malt syrup in a jug, and rest it over a bath of hot water to soften or liquefy.
2) Roughly blitz the whole almonds in the food processor, just a little – we want to have a few chunks in there.
3) Add all other dry ingredients, except the flower petals and goji berries, and pulse till combined.
4) Pour the coconut butter and rice malt syrup into the mixture, and add the vanilla paste, pulse again till combined.
5) Add the flower petals and goji berries at the end for one final quick pulse.
6) Transfer mixture to an 8 inch square cake tin lined with baking paper, use the back of a spoon to flatten the surface.
7) Press slivered almonds over the top to decorate, and perhaps some extra orange zest.
8) Freeze to set, cut into 8 large bars to serve.