Pomegranates are one of the season’s most beloved fruits, not only because of their juicy sweet flavor, but also their amazing nutritional value! These antioxidant-rich mega-stars also contain compounds that help protect our cardiovascular system in a powerful way by strengthening blood vessels, lowering cholesterol levels, and helping to melt-away blockages within the heart. Combine that with the benefits of cacao (also super high in antioxidants, flavonols, and heart-healthy magnesium!) and you have a sweet treat with some serious benefits to your health. The chocolate recipe below also makes a great raw chocolate syrup if you skip the freezer step. Enjoy!
- ⅔ c raw cacao powder (use carob for caffeine-free)
- ½ c maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener i.e. date paste)
- ⅓ c coconut oil, melted
- 1-2 pomegranates, de-seeded
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Add the first 3 ingredients to a bowl and mix well until you have a uniform consistency.
- Pour mixture into a parchment or Saran Wrap lined pan.
- Pour pomegranate seeds evenly across the chocolate and push them down gently.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Place chocolate bark in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Break chocolate sheet apart carefully with the pomegranate side facing down so you don't squirt yourself with juice from the seeds!