This Gluten-Free Vegan Caramel Sauce just might be one of the most versatile recipes that you will need to keep in your kitchen at all times. You only need 3 main ingredients to make this amazing clean version of caramel sauce and no special equipment like a food processor or blender. Traditional caramel sauce that you can buy at the store usually has ingredients like highly refined sweeteners, gums and emulsifiers, food dyes, and preservatives. This healthier version uses maple syrup as a natural sweetener in place of the GMO corn syrup, coconut oil in place of the butter and creamy almond butter as a thickener. Perfect on top of a big bowl of banana nice cream!
- 1/2 cup organic almond butter
- 1/2 cup organic coconut oil (melted / liquid)
- 1/2 cup organic maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon organic vanilla bean powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- Prepare the coconut oil: melt the coconut oil completely (I melt mine on the stove top since I don't use a microwave).
- Add all ingredients (almond butter, melted coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla bean powder, pink salt) to a medium size bowl and whisk together with a whisk until it is creamy smooth and everything is well combined.
- Store in the pantry or refrigerator in an air-tight glass container (mason jar works great). If you store in the refrigerator, it will become solid due to the coconut oil. Just run the glass container under warm water to melt it again and re-stir.