Once you make your own fresh almond milk, you’ll never go back. Homemade almond milk is incredibly easy to make and only requires the almonds to be soaked and then blended with fresh water – very simple! Homemade almond milk is far more delicious and creamier than anything you can find in the grocery store. It’s also much healthier with just 2 ingredients, versus store bought ones that are packed with additives and unnecessary sweeteners. Prep a big batch on a Sunday while you do your other food prep, and enjoy fresh almond milk throughout the week!
- 2 cups almonds (raw, skin intact or blanched is okay)
- 4 ½ cups water (add more water if you desire a thinner consistency)
- Start by placing your almonds in a bowl along with enough water to cover the almonds. Set in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 4 hours to allow the almonds to soften and soak in the water – this is a very crucial step in having a creamy almond milk.
- When ready, drain the almonds of the used water and rinse well.
- Then add them to a blender, along with the fresh 4 ½ cups water, and blend for 1-2 minutes until the almonds have been ground into a crumble or paste. Be careful not to completely pulverize the almonds into the water. Now line a bowl with the cheesecloth and slowly pour the almond milk through – catching the almond pieces as you go. Once all the almond milk is through, squeeze the bottom of the cheesecloth to make sure you get all the delicious almond milk out.
- Finally seal with a lid and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can discard the strained almond pieces or dehydrate them to be used in a cookie recipe. Enjoy!