Deep chocolate flavor, smooth texture and juicy pomegranate arils all make this chocolate flax pudding a scrumptious, yet very healthy treat. The flax seeds are a great source of heart- and brain-healthy omega-3 fatty acids and tons of minerals (especially manganese and magnesium). On top of that, the pomegranate is practically bursting with vitamin C, K, and folate. Give this recipe a try for a fun alternative to chia pudding when you want to mix it up a bit.
- ½ cup (60 g) flax meal (for best results, grind whole flax seedsin a coffee grinder or a high-speed blender)
- ¼ cup (20 g) cacao powder
- sweetener to taste (I used some NuNaturals stevia extract but about 6 tablespoons (75 g) of your favorite healthy granulated sweetener or 2-3 tablespoons (40-60 g) maple syrup will work too)
- optional: ½ teaspoon cardamom
- 1 cup (240 ml) almond milk (or other milk of choice)
- pomegranate arils of 1 pomegranate
- Combine all ingredients except for the pomegranate in a medium bowl (sweeten to taste).
- Let sit on the counter for about 15 minutes, until the pudding thickens.
- Divide into 2 bowls and top with the pomegranate arils. Enjoy right away or store in the fridge for up to 2 days.