Beautiful and decadent raw chocolate cake using nut milk pulp and zucchini as the base, thickened with irish moss and topped with a vibrant raspberry frosting. Can be made very low glycemic by using chicory root or Lakanto sweetener in substitution of honey, sucanat or maple syrup.
1 cup Irish moss gel (see ratio and instructions below)
1/2 cup more water
1 1/2 cup berries and juice from a bag of defrosted raspberries (12 oz. bag)
¾ cup Sweet Perfection (chicory root sweetener) or honey
3/4 cup coconut oil
2 Tablespoons soy lecithin
4 Tablespoon beet powder or 6 Tablespoon shredded beets
1 1/2 cups cashews or macadamia nuts
¼ tsp. salt
15 drops medicine flower vanilla (Pure Joy Planet)
¼ cup packed Irish moss blended with 1 ½ cups water until smooth
3 loosely packed cups nut pulp (leftover from making nut milk)
1/2 cup cacao paste or nibs
1/2 cup maple syrup or honey or powdered Lakanto
1/2 cup coconut oil (soften or melt before using)
2 cups chopped yellow zucchini or green zucchini
20 drops vanilla essence from Medicine flower (Pure Joy Planet)
2 tsp. tamari
4 cups dried shredded coconut made into powder in a blender
2/3 cup powdered sucanat or Lakanto or Sweet Perfection (0 sugar sweetener)
1/16 tsp. cayenne
1 1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 Tablespoon psyllium husk powder (blend husks in a coffee grinder if you can’t find powder)
1) Blend all until smooth
2) Let set up overnight in the refrigerator overnight if possible or freeze in a shallow pan until set.
1) Blend the zucchini with all the liquids, oil and cacao nibs or paste until smooth.
2) Mix everything together in a large bowl with your hands.
3)Divide the batter in half and press each half into a round 10 1/4 inch spring form pan.If you only have one pan, press the first half in, then place cheesecloth on top and press in the second half.
4) Place the cake in the refrigerator or freezer for a quick set up.
5) Please note: if you are using maple instead of Rapadura please add 2 Tablespoons more of Psyllium husk powder to the batter.
Frosting the Cake:
1) When the frosting has set up and is very firm, spread it over the cake.
2) Reserve 1/4 of the frosting and put into a piping bag to make designs as desired.
3) Top with fresh raspberries and cacao nibs.
*Irish moss preperation
(Use 1 cup of water to 1/4 cup soaked irish moss. Irish moss should soak for 3+ hours before blending)
1) Blend moss and water until smooth
Make 1 day ahead if possible. This frosting will last for 1 week refrigerated or 2 weeks frozen. If frozen, re-blend after defrosting before using again.