It’s a new year and there is no time like the present to fully embrace the nutritional powerhouse that is kale. This recipe by Joelle Amiot of jarOhoney utilizes our favorite dark leafy vegetable in a very simple and back-to-basics fashion – fresh kale is chopped, combined with lemon juice, the optional dash of olive oil, salt and pepper, 1 large and very ripe avocado, and freshly grated ginger then massaged to soften. Make kale salad a staple in your diet for 2014 and reap the health benefits. Packed with protein, minerals, healthy fats, tons of chlorophyll and absolutely no sugar, you’ll feel like a million dollars after consuming this recipe! Make extra and store in the fridge – it tastes great the next day too.
2 bunches organic kale (I used dino kale), any variety
1 large organic lemon, peel and reserve the zest for another recipe
1 large RIPE organic avocado, peel and pit
2 TBSP grated organic mature ginger root, unpeeled
2 TBSP organic cold pressed olive oil
fresh cracked pink salt and pepper to taste
1) Wash, trim off the ends and small chop the kale (including the rib) and place in a large mixing bowl.
2) Juice the lemon over the kale.
3) Now add the grated ginger and avocado (and olive oil if you are using it).
4) Use your hands to massage and mash this into the kale leaves. Work this until the total amount is 1/2 of the original amount in your bowl.
5) Salt and pepper to taste if so desired.
6) Allow the salad to rest for 15 minutes, serve and ENJOY!!
A CHEF’S TIP: because I am on a paleo cleanse, I omitted the olive oil, pink salt and pepper from my salad (still is quite tasty without those ingredients). Also, always use RIPE avocados in this recipe for the best flavor and texture.