These Apple Pecan Pie Balls are raw, vegan, gluten-free, and refined-sugar free, but the flavors are just like the real thing! With ingredients like pecans, walnuts, cranberries, dates, coconut, fresh apple and real spices, these morsels of tastiness really are the perfect guiltless way to indulge in a classic holiday dessert. Enjoy!
- ½ heaping cup pecans
- ½ heaping cup walnuts
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cacao powder
- ½ teaspoon maple syrup
- 8 pitted medjool dates
- 1 large Granny Smith Apple (or whatever kind you prefer), peeled
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup dried cranberries (optional)
- ¼ cup ground pecans + ¼ teaspoon cinnamon (stirred together)
- ¼ cup shredded coconut (optional)
- Pulse pecans, walnuts, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cocoa powder in a blender or food processor until ground into fine crumbs. Set aside.
- Using the same blender or food processer, blend together the medjool dates and maple syrup, until a smooth consistency is achieved. (It should be like a soft fudge or very thick caramel sauce.)
- Add the dry mixture back into the blender with the date mixture and process until everything is combined. Transfer this “dough” to a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Peel apple and cut into four rough pieces. Put the apple pieces in the blender and pulse until minced (3 to 5 short pulses should do the trick; it’s okay if there are some larger pieces remaining). Pour the apples onto a sheet of paper towels or cheesecloth. Wrap the apples into the paper towel or cloth and give them a few tight squeezes to drain the juice. (A significant amount of juice should come pouring out rather quickly and the remaining apple should be the consistency of shredded carrots—still slightly moist, but not soaked in its juice.)
- Add the minced apples, chopped pecans, and cranberries to the “dough” in the mixing bowl. Stir together until everything is combined, using your hands if necessary (it might be messy, but it’s the best method).
- Spoon the mixture into your hands one tablespoonful at a time and roll between the palms of your hands until a ball is formed. Roll the balls into the remaining ground nuts and cinnamon and/or coconut. For best results, refrigerate the balls for one hour before serving.