Yummy energy-rich power bars by Karielyn Tillman of The Healthy Family and Home topped with a nice layer of raw chocolate. The bars themselves are a wholesome blend of raw and organic nuts, nut butter, seeds, coconut oil, raw honey (or if vegan – maple syrup), and vanilla extract and come together effortlessly with a few whizzes in the food processor and some easy mixing. Dessert? Snack? Who cares! Delicious absolutely any time of the day. These could also be easily formed into cookies for a different variation. Enjoy!
2 cups organic raw almonds
1/2 cup organic sunflower seeds
1/2 cup organic hazelnuts
1/2 cup organic almond butter
1/2 cup organic coconut oil (melted/liquid)
2 - 3 tablespoons organic raw honey (or maple syrup for vegan)
2 teaspoons organic vanilla extract
1/2 cup organic raw cacao powder
6 tablespoons organic coconut oil (melted/liquid)
1 tablespoon organic raw honey (or maple syrup for vegan)
For the bar:
1) Add the following: almonds, sunflower seeds, hazelnuts and almond butter to a food processor and process for approximately 10 seconds for a chunkier nut texture or approximately 20 seconds for a finer nut texture.
2) In a small bowl, mix the coconut oil, honey (or maple syrup for vegan) and vanilla extract and mix together until well blended.
3) In a large bowl, add the nut mixture and coconut oil/honey mixture together and mix together until well blended.
4) Put the mixture in an 8 x 8 glass baking dish (lined with parchment paper if you prefer), and put in the freezer for approximately 30 minutes or until firm.
For the topping:
1) Mix the coconut oil (melted/liquid), cacao and honey (or maple syrup for vegan) and stir until well combined.
1) Remove the bars from the freezer.
2) Pour the chocolate topping over the bars and VERY QUICKLY spread in a thin layer (it will start to harden once it touches the frozen bars and will be difficult to spread).
3) Return the bars back to the freezer for approximately 15 - 30 minutes to allow the chocolate topping to completely harden.
4) Transfer them to the refrigerator for about 15 - 30 minutes prior to cutting and serving to soften them slightly.
Store in the refrigerator or freezer because they will get very soft and lose their shape if left out at room temperature.
Recipe slightly adapted from: http://www.beyondthepeel.net/2011/12/almondpowerbar.html