By Chef: Summer Sanders
Posted: December 11, 2014
You don’t have to overload your body with sugar to enjoy a decadent treat. The base for this creamy raw vegan milkshake is young Thai coconut meat and water – loaded with valuable compounds and nutrients such as electrolytes for hydration (perfect for dry, irritated winter skin), caprylic acid (to help keep candida levels in check and stave off viral and bacterial infections), and healthy fats (to give the brain a boost). There is no sugar in this recipe, only the natural sweetness from coconut and a touch of optional stevia. It can even be enjoyed for breakfast; the rich fiber content, and balanced levels of fats and proteins will help keep you feeling full and satisfied well into the lunch hour. YUM!
- 1 young coconut water, drained and reserved, raw coconut meat spoon out as an alternative to whole coconut: find organic Thai coconut water here and organic Thai coconut meat here
- 1/2 cup almond mylk (sweetener removed) or water
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon maca powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 packet of stevia (optional)
- Scoop out coconut meat and place in a blender, add coconut water (from the coconut), almond mylk, almond extract, vanilla, maca, salt and steiva if you choose to use. Blend on high until very creamy.
- Pour into a glass and top with coconut shreds and cinnamon for a nice presentation.