By Chef: Brandi Doming
Posted: January 7, 2015
This creamy dressing tastes completely authentic but is made sans egg yolks, anchovies and even oils, instead relying on the buttery-richness of pine nuts, the tangy zest of lemon juice, and cheesy nutritional yeast to impart loads of traditional caesar flavor. Feel free to dress the greens of your choice, such as an Italian mix with extra broccoli florets as pictured here.
- 1/2 heaping cup raw pine nuts (73 g)
- 1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon raw agave (don’t omit, this balances out the acidity of the lemon juice)
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Add all of the ingredients to your blender or food processor and blend until very smooth and creamy. I used my Vitamix, but I’m sure any blender or even a food processor would work since pine nuts are a soft nut.
- Place in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes. It will be perfect for salads then as it gets well chilled and thickens up some. I used an Italian salad blend and added some broccoli, pine nuts, extra black pepper and nutritional yeast on top. However, feel free to use whatever greens you like.