By Chef: Heather Pace
Posted: May 23, 2017
Perfect spring weather calls for the perfect raw dessert, and this raw vegan banana cream cheesecake will not disappoint. No refined sugar to speak of, this dessert is naturally sweet thanks to natural fruit sugars and a touch of maple syrup. It’s also 100% dairy-free, and get’s that perfectly creamy, cheese-cake-like texture from a combination of coconut butter and coconut oil. Simply blissful.
- 3/4 cup almonds, hazelnuts, or cashews (or combo)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1-2 teaspoons water, as needed
- 1 1/2 cups mashed banana (yellow, NOT spotted)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/3 cup melted coconut butter
- 3/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 can full fat coconut milk, chilled for 8-12 hours
- 1 banana, sliced
- Grind the nuts and coconut to fine crumbs in a food processor.
- Add the raisins (or 1/4 cup pitted packed dates) and process until they’re ground down.
- Add the water starting with 1 teaspoon. The dough should hold together easily when pressed.
- Press into the bottom of 7 or 8″ spring form pan.
- Blend all but the coconut oil and butter in a high speed blender until smooth.
- Add the oil and butter and blend again to incorporate.
- Pour over the crust. Place into the freezer for 4-6 hours and then into the fridge for 12 hours until it has firmed up.
- Scoop the chilled, firm coconut cream away from the liquid. Whisk it up by hand and add a few drops of stevia or splash of maple syrup if desired. Spread it on top of the cake. Arrange the banana slices on top.
This cake freezes well, even with the coconut cream on top (just add the bananas fresh before serving). It also keeps in the fridge for 6 days.