By Chef: Lauren Felts
Posted: February 20, 2014
So you just stocked up on superfoods and are now wondering how to utilize them in tasty recipes? This one by Lauren Felts of The Holy Kale makes an excellent starting place as it packs in many of the best: goji berries, cacao nibs, maca, raw almonds, brazil nuts and coconut flakes. Tasty and nutrient-rich energy bites to fuel you on all of life’s adventures.
- 1/2 cup raw brazil nuts
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut, plus extra for rolling
- 1/4 cup goji berries
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- 1½ tablespoons maca powder
- 1 cup medjool dates (about 9-11), pits removed
- 1 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoons almond extract
- ¼ teaspoons sea salt
1. Put all the ingredients into a food processor. Grind until a coarse dough has formed and it starts rolling in a ball around the food processor.
If the consistency is too grainy (sand-like), add more dates. If it is too thick and sticky, add more goji berries or cacao nibs. You will want it to turn into a dough ball, with a similar consistency and look to cookie dough.
2. Next sprinkle extra coconut shreds on a cutting board, and line a plate or Tupperware with parchment paper or waxed paper. *You will be storing the balls on the plate or in the Tupperware.
3. Then scoop some of the dough out little by little and form into balls. They should be about the size of a golf ball. Once rolled into a ball, roll them around in the coconut shreds until covered.
4. Place on the lined plate or in the Tupperware and store in the refrigerator for an hour to harden.
*If you cannot wait, they can be eaten immediately. The refrigerator just hardens them a bit, but this is a personal preference.