By Chef: Lauren Glucina
Posted: August 29, 2016
Delicious raw Red Velvet Doughnuts with hot pink icing. No gluten or refined sugar. This recipe may look fancy but it’s deceptively easy and straight forward. Enjoy!
- 1½ cups almond meal
- 1 cup cashews
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup cacao powder
- ½ cup 100% pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup freshly grated beetroot
- 2 tablespoons psyllium husks
- Good pinch of coarse sea salt
- ½ cup cashews, soaked in water at least 2 hours (the longer the soak, the creamier the icing)
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons brown rice syrup
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, liquefied
- 1 tablespoon free dried raspberries (or powder) – for flavour
- 2 teaspoons grated beetroot – for rich colour
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Blitz cashews in a food processor till they become a fine meal. Add all other ingredients and blend till combined and dough-like.
- Press mixture into a silicone shaped doughnut mould (small sized cavities), pop them out again and set in the fridge. If you don’t have any moulds, shape 12 equal portions into oval patties then use an apple corer to remove the centre.
- Blend till smooth.
- Transfer mixture into a small bowl.
- Dunk doughnuts face down in icing to coat, then sprinkle coconut threads or freeze dried raspberries over to decorate.