By Chef: Heidi Turunen
Posted: February 3, 2016
This dish is great finger food for parties or a delicious dinner dish, depending what kind of mushrooms you choose to use. You can use big portobello mushrooms, but small cup mushrooms make a great finger food option. And they are so cute too! This pesto is both raw and vegan of course, and packed with flavor. Serve these with baby spinach or fresh mixed salad.
- 3-4 big portobello mushrooms or 6-7 smaller cup mushrooms
- 2 bunch fresh basil
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup raw cashews
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup diced sun-dried tomatoes
- Sprinkle mushrooms with some oil, salt and pepper on top, then place them on a dehydrator tray. Dehydrate for 1-2 hours until the soften up.
- Prepare pesto. Add basil, olive oil, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper and cashew nuts into a food processor and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust the flavour. Add some more, oil if the texture seems too dry. Add diced sun-dried tomatoes and pulse few times, until tomatoes are blended in the pesto.
- Remove the mushrooms from the dehydrator and fill them with fresh pesto. Serve and enjoy.
You can store leftover mushrooms in the fridge. They taste great on the next day too!