By Chef: Kibby Miller
Posted: November 19, 2013
Within this rich and decadent pie by Kibby’s Blended Life you’ll find not a stitch of gluten, dairy, or refined sugar! What you WILL find is a list of wholesome and delicious ingredients rich in healthy fats, vitamins and minerals! If you happen to have a sensitive blood sugar this recipe will suit you very well! The only sweeteners you’ll find are low-glycemic coconut sugar and no-glycemic stevia extract, along with orange juice in the cream filling and raisins in the crust. Healthy never tasted so good!
- 2 cups raw walnuts
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 cup organic raisins (a few more if needed)
- 1/8 tsp. pink himalayan salt
- 1 TB. water
- 1 1/2 cups young coconut meat (from 3 young Thai coconuts)
- 1/2 avocado
- juice from 1 organic orange
- zest from 1 organic orange
- 8 — 10 drops ORANGE liquid stevia (or to taste)
- 3 drops VANILLA liquid stevia
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsps. xanthum powder (for thickener)
- pinch of pink himalayan salt (to bring out flavors)
To make crust:
1) Place walnuts in a food processor fitted with an S-blade and process till finely ground.
2) Add cacao powder and salt and process till incorporated.
3) Add the raisins, water and process until the mixture begins to stick together (add extra if you need). Don’t over-process.
4) Press this mixture into desired pan/dish — I used a small rectangular pyrex dish. An 8″ or 9″ pie dish would be fine.
Chill in refrigerator while you make the filling.
To make filling:
1) Place the coconut meat, avocado, orange juice, orange zest, stevia, xanthum gum and salt into a blender (I used a Vitamix) and process until smooth.
2) Adjust flavor and sweetness to your own liking.
3) Pour this mixture over the chocolate walnut crust and spread evenly.
To make crumble:
1) Place all ingredients in a small food processor/ grinder and pulse till medium/fine ground.
2) Sprinkle this crumble on top of the filling.
Chill pie in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
Left overs: Cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.
Eat within 3 days (crust will get soggy — but still tastes amazing).