By Chef: Vanessa Vickery
Posted: January 18, 2017
Not only are these brownies delicious, but they are super easy to whip up and they look so pretty too. If you’re already hooked on matcha lattes, you’ll love discovering a whole new way of enjoying this antioxidant-loaded, chlorophyll-rich superfood. Matcha is rich in L-Theanine, an amino acid that is said to help promote both relaxation and alertness. Enjoy!
- 1 + 1/2 cups pecans
- 16 medjool dates (or soft organic dates)
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste (or extract)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup cacao butter, chopped into small pieces
- 1/3 cup rice malt syrup (you can also use honey or maple syrup)
- 1 tablespoon matcha powder
- Process pecans in a blender or food processor until they resemble fine crumbs.
- Next, add the cacao powder, vanilla and sea salt and process until well combined.
- Then, add the dates and process until a sticky dough is formed.
- Spoon mixture into a lined square baking tin and smooth with the back of a spoon. Place in the refrigerator to set for a minimum 2 hours.
- To make the matcha layer, add the cacao butter and rice malt syrup in a small glass/heatproof bowl and place over a saucepan of simmering water, making sure that the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water. Stir until the cacao butter has melted
- Next, add the matcha powder and whisk until well combined. Spread over the brownies and place back into the freezer for approximately one hour to set.
- Then, slice the brownies into squares and serve. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.