By Chef: Ann Oliverio
Posted: May 21, 2015
Blue-green algae never tasted so good! In these vegan, raw balls, spirulina is paired with coconut, dates, and nuts for a delicious, nutritious dessert or snack. Enjoy!
- 1 cup raw pecan pieces
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup unsweetened raw coconut flakes
- 2 Tbsp. hemp seeds
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp. spirulina
- Put the pecans and dates into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until broken down into small pieces.
- Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth. You will need to scrape down the sides of the bowl a few times. The mixture will form a ball.
- Scrape the mixture into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour or two.
- Using a small spoon, scoop up about 1 heaping teaspoon of the mixture and roll into a ball. Place in an air-tight container. Continue with the rest of the mixture and store the balls in the refrigerator.
Use a protein powder mix (which often contains spirulina) if you don’t have spirulina on hand.