By Chef: Koko Brill
Posted: August 12, 2015
This recipe was made with a Yonanas machine – a very clever kitchen appliance that turns frozen fruit into delicious soft serve ice cream! The raw cookies are gluten-free and are made from a base of almonds, buckwheat, and coconut. They are flavoured with a little maple syrup and lemon zest and juice. Then, you sandwich a big scoop of Yonanas strawberry-banana soft-serve in between two cookies and BOOM! Healthy, gluten-free, dairy-free, super delicious ice cream sandwiches for any occasion!
Yield: makes 18 cookies – 9 sandwiches
- 1/2 cup buckwheat groats
- 1/2 cup Almonds
- 1 cup finely shredded coconut
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- 3 Tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 9 Tbsp water
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- frozen strawberries
- frozen banana
- Mix together the ground flaxseeds and the water. Set aside for 5-10 minutes until thickened..
- In a high speed blender (Vitamix, BlendTec, etc.) grind the buckwheat groats into flour. Set aside.
- Grind the almonds into flour (without turning into almond butter…). Set aside.
- Combine the coconut and vanilla powder and blitz briefly until mixed.
- In a large bowl, combine the ‘flours’ and the coconut. Stir until well combined. Add the flax mixture, the maple syrup, and the lemon zest and juice. Stir until it becomes a sticky dough.
- On a silicon baking mat, or wax paper, spread the dough out until it’s a 1/4″ thick. I use a small spatula to spread it out and press it down.
- Use a round cookie cutter to cut out your sandwich cookies.
- Place them on a non-stick dehydrator tray and dehydrate at 95-110 degrees for 4-6 hours until still slightly soft. You can dry them completely, but I find the ice cream sandwiches are easier to eat if the cookies are still a bit soft.
- Follow the instructions for your Yonanas machine to create this soft-serve. I used two frozen bananas, and about 1.5 cups of frozen strawberries.
The Yonanas machine is so easy to use, and easy to clean. There is nothing worse than getting a new kitchen tool and finding out that it takes ages to set-up or clean. This is so not the case here! I would recommend the Yonanas machine to anyone in search of a clean treat option…especially during the Summer! In Canada, you can get yourself a Yonanas machine at Canadian Tire, Walmart, or Loblaws!