By Chef: Lauren Glucina
Posted: August 2, 2016
This is a divinely simple recipe, spiked with a little turmeric powder to add both color and antioxidants. The yellow mustard seeds are the mildest in taste, black are the hottest with brown somewhere in between. This recipe uses a combination of mostly yellow with a little brown. Once you have whipped up the mustard, you can blend in some complimentary herbs and spices for extra flavor. Some ideas – roasted garlic, cumin, shallots, fennel, rosemary.
- ½ cup mustard seeds (mostly yellow, a little brown)
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon 100% pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon fine Himalayan rock salt
- ¾ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Soak the mustard seeds in water for 24 hours, then combine all ingredients in a blender and blend till you reach your desired consistency.
- Transfer mustard to a glass jar and store in the fridge. Over the next few days, the bitterness will mellow out.