By Chef: Chris Anca
Posted: December 23, 2014
Gingerbread cookies done raw vegan style! Cinnamon, cardamom, star anise, nutmeg and fresh ginger join forces to imbue these delectable chocolate-dunked cookies with a solid dose of nostalgia inducing spice. Enjoy!
- 1.5 cups raw cashews, made into a flour
- 1 cup raw pecans, made into a flour
- 0.5 cups shredded coconut, made into a flour
- 2 TBSP linseed, ground
- 5 Medjool dates, pitted (pick the really really soft, mushy ones)
- 2 TBSP grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch star anise
- seeds of 2 green cardamom pods, ground
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl: nuts flours, coconut, linseed, cinnamon, nutmeg, star anise and cardamom.
- Add the dates and the fresh ginger and mix until incorporated.
- Roll the dough into a ball, cover it with cling wrap and place it in the fridge to firm up.
- Once firm, roll it out and use a cookie cutter to make your cookies. Arrange them in a single layer in an airtight container, with baking paper in between layers if you will layer up your cookies, then store in the freezer. When ready, they should be cold, firm, yet gooey at the same time.
- If you want to dehydrate them, after you cut out the cookies, arrange them in a single layer on a dehydrator tray and dehydrate until almost dry.
- If you want to dip them in chocolate, do so after they firm up in the freezer or after you dehydrate them.