By Chef: Marlie Centawer
Posted: December 12, 2013
Raw, gooey, fudge-like walnut brownies by Marlie Centawer of Barefoot and Frolicking featuring a decadent icing made with Rawmio’s creamy chocolate and vanilla sesame halvah spreads. This recipe is even healthy enough to enjoy for breakfast if you wish, and can be made with raw carob if you are sensitive to cacao. Enjoy this tasty and wholesome treat to the max!
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts, ground
- 1/2 cup Medjool dates
- 3/4 cup Thompson raisins
- 1/3 cup cacao or carob powder
- 1 tbsp water (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1/2 — 1 jar of Rawmio Chocolate and/or Vanilla Halvah (depending on your level of icing preference)
- crushed walnuts, to garnish
1. Process the walnuts in a food processor until a crumbly consistency (but not too crumbly, as the high-fat content of the walnuts, when broken down, will leave the mixture too oily).
2. Add in the raisins, dates, vanilla and carob powder and process until mixture is well-combined and ‘sticky.’ If mixture is too dry, add in a tbsp of water and process until desired consistency is reached.
3. Transfer the mixture to a 9×9 glass baking dish. Chill for thirty minutes in the fridge.
4. Once chilled, top the brownies with either the Rawmio Chocolate/Vanilla Halvah (or both) until smooth.
5. Top with crushed walnuts. Chill in the fridge for a few hours or in the freezer before slicing and serving.
To make these brownies all the more rich, try adding 1 tbsp of either Rawmio flavour to the brownie base, pulsing ever so slightly to incorporate. Words of advice: make sure to add in the Rawmio slowly to see what the final consistency you end up with, as you will have a more dense brownie with an elevated fat content.