By Chef: Gena Hemshaw
Posted: November 11, 2011
The crackers have a fabulous texture. they’re a little salty, a little sweet, a little crunchy, and a lot addictive. The chia seeds add some variety in texture, along with all of their usual nutritional benefits: fiber, Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, protein, and calcium.
Yield: 25-30 crackers
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/3 cup flax meal
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- 1/2 cup date paste
- Scant 1/2 cup water (or as needed)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
1) Grind cashews, flax, salt, and cacao nibs in a food processor till finely ground.
2) Add date paste and run the processor motor. Drizzle water in until the mixture is the texture you want: it should be thick but not so thick you can’t spread it easily on a dehydrator tray.
3) Add chia seeds and pulse to combine.
4) Spread onto a Teflex lined dehydrator sheet and dehydrate for 3-4 hours at 115 degrees. Flip, score into cracker shapes, and dehydrate for another four hours.