By Chef: Ella Leché
Posted: March 7, 2016
This raw cheesecake is made with amazing clean ingredients, it is gluten free, vegan, paleo and refined-sugar free AND it is still deliciously good and good-for-you! If you can’t go to the tropics, let the tropics come to you, in the form of this delectable coconut dessert.
Yield: 1, 8 springform
- 1 cup mixed nuts (I used walnuts, cashews, brazil nuts)
- 8 Medjool dates (pitted)
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- pinch of himalayan or sea salt
- 1-3 tablespoons of warm water
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked for 4 hours minimum
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (sulphite free)
- 3/4 cups coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup coconut nectar or raw honey
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 6 squares of dark or raw chocolate for topping (melted)
- First, soak the cashews for minimum 4 hours in the refrigerator or overnight.
Make the crust first
- In a food processor, pulse the nuts until a fine grind forms.
- Add in dates, cacao and salt. Continue mixing and check with your fingers if the mixture sticks in your fingers. (Be sure to turn off the mixer each time you check, and always form a habit of scooping with a spoon first!) If it’s too dry, add in water one tablespoon at a time. Mix again, check again. Once it sticks together and still falls off your fingers – it’s perfect.
- Line a round 8″ spring form pan with parchment paper at the bottom, and press the mixture into the bottom evenly. Set aside.
To make the filling
- Soak the cashews for 1 hour at room temperature in hot water or overnight in the fridge, strain well.
- Wipe down the food processor with a paper towel and add : cashews, coconut flakes, warm but not hot coconut oil, coconut nectar, vanilla extract, water. Mix on high for about 5 minutes until a very smooth mixture forms.
- Pour over the crust. Tap the pan gently to let it settle. Place straight into the freezer for about 4 hours or overnight to set.
- Before serving, place in the refrigerator to thaw for about 2 hours or at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Melt chocolate and drizzle on top if desired.