By Chef: Heidi Turunen
Posted: February 26, 2015
When life gets busy, and breakfasts get a little lax, don’t despair – turn to your friend chia! This breakfast option is really tasty enough to be dessert (think tapioca pudding), and will fuel your body with the protein, healthy fats, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that it needs to keep you feeling energized and nourished until lunch time. Chia is also great for the GI tract, its gentle soluble fiber has a sweeping and cleansing effect – a perfect food to enjoy as the first meal of the day to set you up for smooth sailing digestion. Keep things very low glycemic by using stevia as a sweetener, and top with whatever fruits suite your fancy and are most in season. Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup of chia seeds
- 1 cup of coconut milk (or milk of your choice, almond, rice or oat milk for example)
- 1-2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 5 drops of vanilla flavored Stevia (optional)
- 1/2 of crunchy apple, sliced thin
- Few cashew nuts, for garnishing
- Mix Chia seeds, cinnamon, Stevia and coconut milk (or milk of your choice) in a small container or a dessert dish. Soak the mixture for 30 minutes or longer ( You can even soak then overnight if your mornings are busy).
- Before serving, sprinkle cinnamon on top. garnish with apple slices and cashew nuts. If you like honey, you might want to sweeten the porridge with honey instead of Stevia. You can also drizzle bit of honey on top of the porridge and apple slices before serving.