By Chef: Clemence Moulaert
Posted: November 26, 2014
A rich and creamy coconut cacao filling enhanced with the delicate flavors of cardamon and maple sits atop a crust made with gluten-free buckwheat groats and dates. It’s the simple things in life that bring the most pleasure…
Yield: 4 tartlets
For the crust
- 180g (1 cup) raw buckwheat
- 100g (2/3 cup) dates, pitted and roughly chopped
For the cream filling
- 250ml (1 cup) coconut cream *RFR note: for a fully raw version use young Thai coconut meat blended until creamy
- 3 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- Grind the raw buckwheat into a coarse flour in the food processor or high-speed blender. Add the chopped, pitted dates and blend again until both ingredients form a sticky dough.
- Press this dough into 4 small tartlets tins (roughly 12cm/5 inches wide). Make sure the dough is evenly pressed into the bottom and sides. Refrigerate until needed.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the coconut cream filling. Pour into the four individual pie tins and refrigerate until set, at least 6 hours, or overnight.
- Sprinkle over a few cardamom seeds or dust with ground cardamom before serving, and enjoy!