By Chef: Lauren Glucina
Posted: August 2, 2016
A healthy version of a Black Forest Cake with an espresso twist. The final texture of these is a lovely soft mousse – it’s just divine.
- ¾ cup cashews
- ¾ cup coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 8 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- ¼ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 2 cups cashews, soaked in water for 8 hours
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon psyllium husks
- 3 tablespoons cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons espresso
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Handful of black cherries, pitted
- Sifted cacao powder
- Dark chocolate shavings
- Red or black roses
- Add the cashews and coconut flakes to a food processor, and pulse till well crumbled.
- Add the cacao, salt and coconut oil and pulse again.
- Add the dates, one at a time, while the motor is still running. If they are particularly dry, soak them first in a little water before you use them. Keep the motor going till a nice dough has formed.
- Transfer the dough to an 8 inch square cake tin, lined with baking paper, and flatten the surface with the back of a spoon.
- If your coconut oil or butter is firm, place them in a glass jug and stand them over a bowl of hot water to soften to a liquid.
- Add the coconut milk, coconut oil, coconut butter, maple syrup, vanilla and psyllium husks to a blender and whiz to combine.