By Chef: Amie Sue
Posted: April 22, 2015
Food is more than just satisfying hunger or cravings, it is even more than just nutrients… it can also feed the soul. So here’s a food for the soul by chef Amie Sue– Raw Apricot Hemp Seed Delight Bars!
- 3 cups dried apricots, roughly chopped
- 1 cup chopped dried prunes
- 1 1/2 cups raw hemp seeds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1 tsp vanilla seeds, scraped from vanilla pods (see below for subs)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Prepare an 8×8″ pan. I used one with a removable bottom. I simply line the base with plastic wrap. This aids in removing the bars with grace and ease. If you don’t have a removable bottom, line the pan with plastic wrap.
- To soften the dried fruit (for mixing purposes), place the diced apricots and prunes in a bowl and cover with hot water. Once soft, drain and discard the water.
- In a food processor, fitted with the “S” blade, pulse together the hemp seeds, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and vanilla. This assures that the flavors are evenly dispersed.
- Add the drained apricots, prunes and lemon juice. Process until the batter starts to ball up as the blade goes around. Be careful that you don’t over-process.
- Press the batter into the 8×8″ pan. Spread evenly.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of hemp seeds on top and press down evenly with a spatula.
- Place into the fridge or freezer until solid.
- Remove and cut into squares. At this point you can enjoy right away or you can dehydrate them making them less sticky and “road worthy”. If you skip the dehydration process, store in the fridge or freezer. Dehydrate – place the brownie squares on the mesh sheet that comes with the dehydrator. Dry at 145 degrees (F) for 1 hour click (here) to read why, then reduce the heat to 115 degrees (F) and dry for at least 10 hours. Longer if desired.
- Store in an airtight container. Shelf life? About 1 month in the fridge and 3 months in the freezer.
- 1 vanilla bean equal 1 tsp of pure ground vanilla
- 1 vanilla bean equal 3 tsp extract
- 1 vanilla bean equal 1/2 tsp vanilla Nectar