By Chef: Gena Hemshaw
Posted: May 11, 2012
This salad is gorgeous and the delicious creamy tangy apricot dressing is reason enough to make this recipe. When it comes to eating raw kale salad this secret is totally in the dressing. It must have a yummy sauce otherwise you can forget it. This recipe has vibrant flavors and a variety of fun textures and is not your average boring salad. The many phyto nutrients such as beta carotene in this salad are amazing for healthy lung tissue. Breathe deep and try it out for dinner tonight!
- 1 head purple kale, destemmed, chopped, washed, and dried (any variety of kale is fine if you don’t have purple)
- 6 dried apricots, sliced thinly
- 1/3 cup walnuts, raw
- 1 honeycrisp or Fuji apple, sliced thinly
Creamy Apricot Ginger Dressing (makes at least 2 cups–you can half the recipe if you’re not going to use it up in other salads):
- Generous 1/2 cup dried apricots, packed
- 3/4 inch long knob raw ginger (or 1/2 tsp ginger powder)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp tamari or nama shoyu
- 2 tbsp avocado or olive oil
Creamy Apricot Ginger Dressing
1. Blend all dressing ingredients together in a high speed blender.
1. Massage dressing into kale; I can’t say precisely how much you’ll need, because it varies depending on your taste, how many greens you have, and so on, but 2/3-3/4 cup is probably about right? Use your kitchen intuition!
2. Add remaining salad ingredients, either by sprinkling onto the salad, or mixing in. Divide into portions, and serve.