By Chef: Ulyana Michailov
Posted: August 22, 2012
A definite treasure of a recipe that may even help you get in touch your inner pirate. A piña colada gelati made from fresh pineapple fruit, coconut, lime and of course coconut sugar. A tropical island experience is awaiting you with this recipe from Ulyana, the Kitchen Fairy!
- 2 cups fresh pineapple puree (plus extra chunks of fresh pineapple)
- 1 cup canned Coconut milk, cream or flesh from baby Thai coconut
- 1/4 cup lime juice or flesh
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (optional)
- Pinch of stevia (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- For pirates add 1/4 cup Midori, 1/4 cup white rum
1) In a blender puree fresh pineapple, lime, coconut, sugar, stevia and salt to a creamy consistency.
2) Pour all liquid in an ice cream maker and switch it on until it is ready, it takes around 25 minutes.
3) At about the 20 minutes mark, just before it is ready add chunks of fresh pineapple.
4) Put in the freezer for a while to freeze a little more if the weather is hot.
Scoop generous amounts and sprinkle with desiccated coconut (raw or toasted) and crystalline coconut sugar!